Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ-6 SynScan GoTo mount
- Payload Capacity: 25kg
- Easy transport thanks to low weight
- Massive polar block - even more stable
- Optical encoders make sure you'll never lose alignment again
- Two telescopes can be mounted simultaneously
The Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6GT is an exciting evolutionary development of the hugely successful NEQ6 PRO. The AZ-EQ6GT is a dual purpose, fully functional computerised heavy-duty Go-To/Tracking astronomical mount in both Alt-Azimuth (AZ) and Equatorial (EQ) modes. Supplied with a Synscan handset with dual AZ/EQ firmware, it can automatically find and track over 42,900 celestial objects from its database. In EQ mode, the AZ-EQ6GT is designed for either visual use or precise astro-imaging. In AZ mode, it is primarily intended for visual use, and in this mode, two telescopes can be mounted simultaneously in parallel.
A great feature of the AZ-EQ6GT is the patented dual-encoder technology. This allows the telescope to be moved manually in either axis without the mount losing its positional information. This gives the user enormous freedom, convenience and flexibility during observational sessions. The Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6GT.....a new legend is born!!
- Payload Capacity: 25kg (EQ and AZ modes)
- Tracking Accuracy: 0.1436 arc minutes
- Go-To Capability: EQ and AZ modes
- Synscan Handset Database: over 42,900 celestial objects
- Tracking Speed: sidereal, solar & lunar rates
- Tracking Mode: EQ or AZ, dual or single axis
- PEC control in EQ mode
- Autoguider Port : Yes
- DSLR Electronic Shutter Release Port : Yes
- Motor Type: DC12V stepper motors
- Patented Dual-Encoder design allows manual movement without losing positional information
- Polar alignment: via software control or supplied polar scope
- Alignment methods: 1, 2 or 3 star alignment (EQ) / brightest star or 2 star alignment (AZ)
- Telescope Connection: 2 x dual-fit saddle plates supplied accepting 45mm & 75mm dovetail bars
- RA/DEC Worm Gears: D=92.5mm, 180 teeth, brass
- RA/DEC Axes: D=40mm, steel
- Tripod: 2” Stainless Steel
- Counterweights supplied: 2 x 5kg
- Counterweight Bar: 25mm Diameter
- Mount Body Weight: 15.4kg, Tripod Weight: 7.5kg
- Power requirement: 12V DC 3A (Sky-Watcher 17Ah Power Tank recommended)
All-in-one equatorial and azimuth mount
Why should you have multiple mounts when you can have it all in just one? The AZ- EQ-6 can be converted from an equatorial into an altazimuth mount in a few simple steps and in just seconds. It can take two telescopes at the same time. So, for example, you could mount a Newtonian OTA at one end and a refractor at the other. It gains additional stability when used as an altazimuth mount.
The extremely stable counterweight rod has a GP and a 3" profile, as has the mount head. Both heads on the AZ- EQ-6 mount carry telescopes with the equal stability.
Many amateur astronomers use both an equatorial and an altazimuth mount. Combine the advantages of both types in just one mount. You can use the control functions of the mount in both variants. The Synscan GoTo controller is switchable between equatorial and altazimuth modes.
The weight argument is often crucial. The AZ EQ-6 is all 5kg lighter than the older EQ-6 mount, letting you carry the equatorial head more easily to your observing location. Despite its lower weight, the new equatorial mount still has the same carrying capacity. It can also carry significantly more weight in altazimuth mode.
critical of the EQ-6 PRO saw the adjustment of its polar elevation as a particular weak point of that mount. But that is now a thing of the past. The polar block has been massively strengthened. The entire mount has now been designed for two telescopes.
Even the old screws for adjusting the polar elevation are a thing of the past. If you were even a little careless with them, you could bend the old screws. A side-mounted worm now takes over this task - and does it much better. You can now adjust the polar elevation extremely finely, even if the telescope sits on the mounting with a counterweight.
Better clamping - slipper clutch
Not pressure, but rather a firm grip - one could so describe the new AZ-EQ-6 clamping. The compression ring is gentle with the worm gear. The axis is clamped evenly, which has a positive effect on the smooth-running of the mount. The newly constructed slipper clutch makes it easier to move the telescope in any direction - either equatorially or in altazimuth.
Imagine you carry out a two star alignment and then unlock the axis clamps. Alignment would then inevitably be lost with most mounts. But the new AZ- EQ-6 mount has optical encoders, giving you the option of unlocking the clamps and pointing to an object manually but without losing the alignment.
The new SkyWatcher mount keeps track of any movement and hence always knows where the telescope is pointing.
The advantages in a nutshell:
- all in one - combined equatorial and altazimuth mount
- stable counterweight bar - with additional mount head
- GoTo available in both equatorial and azimuth modes
- polar alignment unnecessary in altazimuth mode
- extremely stable polar elevation adjustment via worm gear
- easy to adjust - slipper clutch
- optical encoders - alignment is never lost